List of NON-Accepted Items
Here is a list of items NOT Accepted at the Maple Ridge Recycling Depot:
- broken drink glasses, mirrors, & window panes – bring to landfill ☹ *these are made of a different kind of glass, so unfortunately cannot be accepted with the regular glass jars & bottles for recycling.
- carpeting – bring to landfill ☹
- ceramic plates & dishes – unless you can give them away, bring to landfill ☹
- clean wood – bring to organics area of Transfer Station next door to the Recycling Depot. Metro Vancouver implemented a Clean Wood Disposal Ban back in 2015. ☺
- kitchen scraps & food waste – if you don’t have curbside organics pickup, uncooked fruit & vegetable scraps can go in a backyard composter and ALL food waste (including bones, dairy, bread, etc.) can be put in a backyard Solar Cone Food Digester ☺ In response to Metro Vancouver’s Organic Waste Disposal Ban, which began in January, 2015, there is also a residential organic waste tote on the main tipping floor of the Maple Ridge Garbage Transfer Station
- mattresses: check out www.mattressrecycling.ca or www.canadianmattressrecycling.com, can also be dropped off at the Transfer Station ($15 drop off fee per mattress) for recycling ☺ -see video below
- medicine – pills & liquid medicine can be returned for no charge at pharmacies
- needles – collection boxes for sharps are available at pharmacies
- pressure-treated wood – bring to transfer station (landfill). Metro Vancouver implemented a Clean Wood Disposal Ban in 2015, but it doesn’t include pressure-treated or painted wood.
- reusable clothing, toys, books & furniture donate to charity ☺
- yard trimmings: most yard waste (weeds, grass clippings) can go in a backyard composter, set larger branches out for the Chipping Program (spring & fall), or bring to organics area of Transfer Station next door to the Recycling Depot ☺