Earth Day Poetry & Photo Contests
Photo Contest deadline extended until April 8!!
Celebrate Earth Day 2022 Poetry & MORE Contest
We want to see your best “Pathways” themed poem, flash fiction or video to celebrate Earth Day in Maple Ridge 2022. This is the second year we’ve expanded our poetry contest to include flash fiction and video (it was a great success in year 1), so be creative and show us your stuff!
3 winners in each category (poetry, flash fiction and video compete against each other in each category):
- Kids (up to age 10) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- Youth (age 11 to 16) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- Adult (17 and up) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd
Winners will be announced by April 16, 2022 and may be asked to have their work published or read at the Celebrate Earth Day Welcoming Ceremonies on Saturday, April 23, 2022.
Submit your poem, flash fiction or video via email by midnight, Friday April 8, 2022 to: EarthDayCreative2021@gmail.com (no, we didn’t update the email address from 2021.)
- Relevance to Emerge theme (25%)
- Judge’s impression (25%)
- Format structure (20%) (poetic structure/flash fiction structure/video structure)
- Spelling, grammar, clarity, technical capability (15%)
- Originality (15%)
Rules & Regulations
- The contest is open to all British Columbia residents.
- Limit of up to 2 entries per person. Must be previously unpublished work.
- All styles of poetry will be accepted to a 350-word limit. Flash fiction is a 500-word limit. Video is a 1-minute limit.
- Entries must be sent as a PDF, DOC or DOCX attachment for poetry or flash fiction. Video must be sent as a link to YouTube or a public Facebook video post. Email entries must also include name, age, BC mailing address, phone number and email address.
- Winners will be selected by publishing and writing professional(s).
- Rights: By entering the contest you are giving Celebrate Earth Day Maple Ridge first Canadian rights for publication, AND the option to collect all the years’ poems, flash fiction pieces and videos into a multi-year compilation at some point. You are free to market your work(s) in other places, but you should inform them if it has won or appeared on the Celebrate Earth Day in Maple Ridge website or been published as part of Earth Day materials.
PHOTO Contest: 3 categories – Child (up to age 10), Youth (11-16), & Adult (17+), PLUS Grand Prize Winner. Send entries in jpg format (minimum 1MB) with name & age (if under 17) to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on FRIDAY, APRIL 8 (extended!).
Entries will be posted on the Celebrate Earth Day Facebook page and voting will be open to the public until Friday, April 15. Visit & vote for your favourite photos! Winners will be announced at the Earth Day Welcoming Ceremonies on Saturday, April 23.