Earth Day Poetry & Photo Contests
2020 Earth Day Photo and Poetry Competition Will Celebrate Healthy Community, Healthy Self!
2020 sees the continuation of our “Heal(thy) Community, Heal(thy) Self” theme. In 2019 we focused on Mental, Social, & Economic Health and in 2020, we will look at Healthy Infrastructure, Environmental Health and Physical Health in the lead up to Maple Ridge hosting the BC Summer Games with an overarching theme of “Get Active!”
We look forward to showcasing Maple Ridge’s natural assets and green infrastructure initiatives, highlighting ways for people to get physically active, and encouraging people to step up & take action on things that are important to them. The main Earth Day event, which attracts over 3000 people, will be held on Saturday, April 18, 2020 from 10am – 2pm at Memorial Peace Park.
PHOTO Contest: 3 categories – Child (up to age 10), Youth (11-16), & Adult (17+), PLUS Grand Prize Winner. Send entries in jpg format (minimum 1MB) with name & age (if under 17) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo contest entries will be posted on the Celebrate Earth Day Facebook page and voting will be open to the public.
POETRY Contest: We want to see your best “Healthy Community, Healthy Self: Get Active!” themed poem as part of Celebrate Earth Day in Maple Ridge 2020. Share your creativity and passion for our earth, our community and our selves!
Three winners in each category:
- Kids (up to age 10) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- Youth (age 11 to 16) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- Adult (17 and up) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd
Winners will be announced on March 23 (unless contest deadline is extended) and may be invited to read their winning entry at Earth Day on Saturday, April 18 in Memorial Peace Park.
Submit Your Poem
Via email by midnight, Friday March 6, 2020 to: email@example.com
- Relevance to Healthy Community, Healthy Self theme (25%)
- Judge’s impression (25%)
- Poetic structure (20%)
- Spelling & grammar (15%)
- Originality (15%)
Rules & Regulations
- The contest is open to all British Columbia residents.
- Limit up to 2 entries per person. Must be previously unpublished work.
- All styles of poetry will be accepted but must adhere to 350 word limit.
- Entries must be sent as a PDF, DOC or DOCX attachment and include name, age, BC mailing address, phone number and email address.
- Winners will be selected by publishing and writing professional(s).
- Rights: By entering the contest you are giving Celebrate Earth Day Maple Ridge first Canadian rights for publication, AND the option to collect all the years’ poems into a multi-year compilation at some point. You are free to market your poem(s) in other places, but you should inform them if it has won or appeared on the Celebrate Earth Day in Maple Ridge website or been published as part of Earth Day materials.
Select winners will be invited to share their work at the Celebrate Earth Day event at Memorial Peace Park on Saturday, April 18, 2020.
Ridge Meadows Recycling Society will also present a screening of “The Lorax” (with popcorn & snacks!) to the class with the most contest entries. Please list school & teacher’s name/Division # with entry.
Follow the Celebrate Earth Day in Maple Ridge Facebook page at facebook.com/mapleridgeearthday or the Twitter feed at @mrearthday for updates. Poems & photos may also be featured in The Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows NEWS.