Low-Flow Toilet Tax Credit
Step 1: Are you eligible for the Low-Flow Toilet Tax Credit?
- Applicant must pay property taxes to the City of Maple Ridge.
- Applicant must be a property owner or owner’s representative – no contractors.
- Credit is for residential use only, limit one toilet per property.
- Credit is not eligible for new buildings or as part of a renovation requiring a permit.
- Toilet being replaced must have a flushing volume of 13 litres or greater.
Step 2: If you are eligible, fill in the following form:
Step 3: Save your receipt! Scan it or take a photo of it and email to email@example.com
Receipt must be for a new low-flow toilet. New toilets must be CSA- or Warnock Hersey-approved 4.8 flush or dual-flush toilets. Local businesses offering additional discounts for low-flow toilets purchased in this program are RONA, Haney Builders, and Home Hardware.
Step 4: Wait for Confirmation Email
We will verify with the City of Maple Ridge that you are the registered property owner (and have not previously applied for the tax credit) and will send you a confirmation email. This email will confirm that you will receive the $50 low-flow toilet tax credit on your property tax notification.
Note: Applications must be received by April 30 to be included on that year’s property tax notice. Any applications received AFTER April 30 will be included on the following year’s property tax notice.
Step 5: Dispose of your old toilet
Your old toilet can be dropped off for free at the Maple Ridge Recycling Depot (10092 – 236th Street) as long as you bring a copy of the confirmation email we send you (on your phone or printed) as proof of eligibility for the tax credit. Non-program toilets will NOT be accepted for drop-off.
Did You Know?
- Low-flow, water-efficient toilets can reduce household water consumption by 20%.
- Approximately 28% of household water is used by a toilet. This equates to a savings of up to 30,000 litres of water per year for a family of four.
- By participating in this program, you will be able to avoid the disposal fees for your old toilet.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know that my toilet qualifies?
Look for a stamp on your toilet to find the number of litres it uses per flush. The toilet’s flush volume is printed on the inside or rear of the label, on the top of the bowl, or on the flush valve. If the flush volume is 13 L (3.5 gal) or greater, it qualifies!
I’m a tenant, can I replace the toilet in my rental property and receive the credit?
No, you must be the property owner or representing the owner. (ie: husband or mother-in-law)
Why am I not eligible if I live in a new building?
Under the Provinical Water Conservation Plumbing Regulation, new homes are required to install 4.8-litre or less water-efficient toilets. This regulation applies to any new construction and renovations. The purpose of the tax credit is to replace older wasteful toilets with newer efficient models.
Can I get a credit for more than one toilet?
The toilet utility tax credit program goal is to provide incentives and opportunity to a greater number of homeowners, so there is only one credit per home being offered.