The Life After School Transition Committee (LAST) is a group of service providers in Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows that work to support and empower young people with diverse abilities to transition into life after high school.
We do this by highlighting & promoting resources within our community and celebrating community & economic inclusion.
Are you a parent or caregiver struggling to find the right supports for your child?
Want to connect with community resources AND other parents that can offer support, give advice, and point you in the right direction?
The LAST Committee is launching monthly casual drop-in sessions to connect parents and caregivers caring for youth with extra support needs. Members of the LAST Committee will be on hand to offer resources and information to local initiatives, programs, and support networks.
Learn about some of the organizations that make up the LAST Committee and the programs they offer for people with diverse abilities…
LAST Committee Events
Past events we have organized include:
- A Transition Resource Fair each spring.
The Transition Resource Fair is an event to help students and young adults with extra support needs and their families prepare for the next stage of life after high school. Representatives from a variety of local service providers and agencies covering continuing education, employment, health, and recreational services are on hand to give out information about their programs and organization, answer questions, and provide additional resources or contacts as necessary. Event photos are posted on the LAST Committee Facebook Page
- A Community Inclusion BBQ & Party at the Greg Moore Youth Centre in October to celebrate Community Inclusion Month. Community Inclusion Month recognizes the accomplishments and contributions of people with developmental disabilities.
Thank you to everyone who contributes to this event – the Kiwanis Club of Golden Ears for providing food and drinks and the artists, musicians, & performers who provide the activities & entertainment!!
- We also occasionally present Transition Speaker Events, giving families a chance to meet in a smaller session to learn more and ask questions about topics such as:
- Supported Employment & Customized Employment
- PWD, RDSP, Transit Passes, & Health Benefits
- Creating a Social Network: Face to Face and Having Fun
- STADD – Services to Adults with Developmental Disabilities
- CLBC Eligibility and How to Apply
- MCFD – Ministry of Children & Family Development
LAST Committee Member Organizations
School District 42, Community Living BC, WorkBC, Ridge Meadows Association for Community Living, Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows Community Services, Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction, Maple Ridge Parks, Recreation, & Culture, Ridge Meadows Recycling Society, Ministry of Children and Family Development, Pathfinder Youth Center Society, posAbilities, Pivot Point Family Growth Centre, and Special Olympics.