The Life After School Transition Committee (LAST) is a group of service providers in Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows that work to support and empower young people with diverse abilities to transition into life after high school.
We do this by highlighting & promoting resources within our community and celebrating community & economic inclusion.
While we couldn’t meet in person, in October, 2020 we celebrated inclusivity and the diverse abilities and contributions of ALL members of our community at the LAST Committee’s Community Living Month ONLINE DANCE PARTY!
Thank you everyone who joined us and everyone who helped make it such a fun, successful event!
LAST Committee Events
Past events we have organized include:
- A Transition Resource Fair at Thomas Haney Secondary School each April.
The Transition Resource Fair is an event to help students and young adults with extra support needs and their families prepare for the next stage of life after high school. Representatives from a variety of local service providers and agencies covering continuing education, employment, health, and recreational services are on hand to give out information about their programs and organization, answer questions, and provide additional resources or contacts as necessary. Event photos are posted on the LAST Committee Facebook Page
- A Community Inclusion BBQ & Party at the Greg Moore Youth Centre on the first Wednesday in October to celebrate Community Living Month. Community Living Month recognizes the accomplishments and contributions of people with developmental disabilities.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this event in the past – the Kiwanis Club of Golden Ears for providing food and drinks and the artists, musicians, & performers who provide the activities & entertainment!!
- We also occasionally present Transition Speaker Events, giving families a chance to meet in a smaller session to learn more and ask questions about topics such as:
- Supported Employment & Customized Employment
- PWD, RDSP, Transit Passes, & Health Benefits
- Creating a Social Network: Face to Face and Having Fun
- STADD – Services to Adults with Developmental Disabilities
- CLBC Eligibility and How to Apply
- MCFD – Ministry of Children & Family Development
LAST Committee member organizations include:
School District 42, Community Living BC, WorkBC, Ridge Meadows Association for Community Living, Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows Community Services, Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction, Maple Ridge Parks, Recreation, & Culture, Ridge Meadows Recycling Society, Ministry of Children and Family Development, posAbilities, Pivot Point Family Growth Centre, and Special Olympics.