The Recycling Depot is now on SUMMER HOURS (April – September). We are open 7 days a week, Monday – Saturday 8am – 6pm & Sundays & Holidays 9am – 5pm. Winter Hours (open till 5pm Mon-Sat) begin on October 1, 2020.
The Maple Ridge Recycling Depot is located at 10092 – 236th Street, just off River Road in the Albion Industrial Park.
The Depot will be OPEN on ALL statutory holidays except for New Year’s Day (January 1) and Christmas Day (December 25).
2019 Maple Ridge Recycling Depot Hours:
Open 7 days a week
Monday – Saturday: 8:00am – 5:00pm (October – March)
8:00am – 6:00pm (April – September)
Sundays & holidays: 9:00am – 5:00pm
OFFICE HOURS 8:00am – 5:00pm MONDAY through FRIDAY
Please note it is CASH ONLY for drop-off items (freon removal from freezers and fridges) and depot sales (books, bikes, canning jars, etc.)
For a list of items accepted at the Depot for recycling, download the RMRS A to Z List.
Maple Ridge has had a public Recycling Depot for its residents for over 30 years. The current Maple Ridge Recycling Depot was built in 1990 and custom-designed for the Ridge Meadows Recycling Society. Its location at the entrance to Metro Vancouver’s garbage transfer station was chosen to make it easy for residents to recycle as much as possible before their ‘real’ garbage began its journey to the landfill or incinerator.
On average, the Depot receives around 500 vehicles EVERY DAY!!
The Maple Ridge Recycling Depot consists of several different areas.
Public Drop-off Area
Here, residents can drop off:
- all items collected in the curbside blue box recycling program (cardboard, office paper & magazines, newspaper, glass jars & bottles, plastic containers, metal cans, milk cartons, and tetra-pak style containers)
- all items accepted in any of the many Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Stewardship Programs we take part in (batteries, all electronics, all media used in electronics (memory sticks, CDs, DVDs, records, cassette tapes, USB drives, etc.), small appliances, all light bulbs & tubes, cell phones, used oil & antifreeze, thermostats, smoke detectors, and paints, solvents, pesticides, & gasoline).
- large appliances, books, propane tanks, and any kind of scrap metal. Learn more about our large item pickup service!
- Textiles! In 2018 we partnered with the Salvation Army to collect clothing, household fabrics, accessories, footwear, and more!
- Lots more! Click to download RMRS A to Z List, a list of items accepted at the Ridge Meadows Recycling Depot
Maple Ridge Residents can also:
- Pick up new recycling boxes or bags
- Drop off an application form for the Low-Flow Toilet Tax Credit
- Order a Solar Cone Food Digester, Composter, Rain Barrel or Bear-Resistant Tote (we order these every Spring)
- Request a Depot Tour for a class or group
- Arrange a large item pick up
- Purchase items for reuse such as books ($.10 for softcover, $.25 for hardcover), magazines, canning jars, or bikes ($5 for children’s bikes, $10 for adult bikes).
- Talk to us about the Paint Reuse Program available to community groups (call ahead at 604-463-5545)
- Arrange paper-shredding services ($2/banker’s box – NOTE: our machine chunks the material, it doesn’t shred it into strips, it is then baled and shipped to manufacturers)
- Pick up brochures, newsletters, and other information about Ridge Meadows Recycling & its programs & services
Intermediate Recycling Processing Facility
Picking recyclable items up off the curb is NOT recycling. Residential recycling inevitably requires further sorting and must be “clean” enough to be accepted by a manufacturer. An item is not truly recycled until a new product is created from the recycled material by a manufacturer. Maple Ridge has an advantage on this process through our multi-sort system, keeping materials separated all the way from pickup to shipping.
There are many streams of recyclables that come to the depot for processing:
- Every weekday (excluding statutory holidays), our custom-designed trucks pick up and bring residential curbside recycling to the facility
- Throughout the day, bins from public drop-off areas are brought up to the sort lines
- Our trucks pick up recyclables from businesses in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows
Different sort lines remove any contamination (other materials, garbage, etc.) from the materials. If these things are not removed, the load may not be clean enough and may either be given a surcharge or rejected altogether.
Once sorted, the different commodities (paper, plastic, metals) are baled on site and loaded onto trucks to eventually be shipped to manufacturers who will use the materials to produce new items. As often as possible, RMRS works with local manufacturers to lower transportation fees & emissions and to grow and develop the local green job industry.
If you haven’t visited the Depot yet, come on down! You may be surprised at how much we can recycle!